Salmon River Whitewater Rafting: 2 & 3 Days
2 & 3 Day Whitewater Rafting Adventures:
Ready for Camping?
"Our 2- & 3-Day Raft Trips are a mixture of adventure during the day and comfort at night. After paddling, kayaking or just sitting back and absorbing the canyon beauty on the river all day, you'll be ready to go exploring, fishing, swimming, hiking, gold panning, reading or just resting while your multi-talented guides prepare you a delicious Dutch-oven meal. After dinner and some interesting conversation around the campfire, the music of the river will lull you to sleep under a spectacular star-spangled sky. Wake to the delicious smells of breakfast cooking as the morning sun creeps over the canyon walls heralding another day of rafting fun."
Sample 3-Day itinerary:
Trips begin every week throughout the summer. The 3- Day Trip itinerary:
- 9:00 am - To begin your whitewater rafting adventure, you will be picked up at a prearranged meeting place and driven a scenic 30 minutes to the put-in near North Fork, Idaho.
- 10:00 am - After a brief orientation and safety clinic you and your family will begin your river adventure. This day is a great introduction to river travel with easy Class I & II whitewater, beautiful scenery, abundant wildlife and a riverside lunch. A great day to try the kayak. This stretch of the Main Salmon River fed hope of a navigable route to the Pacific for the Lewis & Clark Expedition of 1805, but as warned by the Shoshoni Indians, the river ahead was to turn them back.
- 4:00 pm - Settle into your camp or lodge and then explore the historic township of Shoup and take a special gold mine tour where you will learn how to pan for gold.
- 7:00 pm - Follow it up with a delicious meal, a campfire and a good nights' sleep.
- 8:00 am - Begin your day of rafting with a delicious Dutch-oven baked breakfast.
- 10:00 am - Once packed, you will continue on your whitewater rafting adventure, where Lewis & Clark dared not, as the canyon dramatically narrows. Tackle 15 miles of fun Class II & III whitewater in the raft or in the kayak and get your photo taken at Pine Creek Rapid. Lunch will be cooked and served right on the river. A great chance of seeing some Bighorn Sheep.
- 4:00 pm - Settle into your camp or lodge and then enjoy some personal time for exploring, relaxing, reading, hiking, gold panning, talking, etc...
- 7:00 pm - Another great meal, more campfire time and another good night's sleep.
- 8:00 am - Start your last day with another hearty breakfast.
- 9:30 am - Back on the river for a combination of big fun rapids and leisurely scenic floating. Soon the Middle Fork of the Salmon river emerges from the Frank Church, the largest Wilderness Area in the Lower 48 states and causes the Salmon river to double in size. Enjoy one last lunch and a few last miles of water before you bid farewell to the "River of No Return" as it cascades out of sight beyond the end of the road.
- 3:00 pm - End your whitewater rafting adventure at Corn Creek and head back to Salmon, Idaho after having rafted a total of 45 miles of spectacular Wild and Scenic River. Then a quick stop at the gold mine to look at your impressive whitewater photographs, and you'll continue on to Salmon, Idaho arriving around 5:30 pm.
All meals, camping gear and shuttle to and from Salmon, Idaho are included in your river rafting adventure vacation with Kookaburra Rafting LLC.
Additional lodging and meals in Salmon, Idaho before and after the trip may be arranged.Group size usually ranges from 6-16 people.
Maximum size is approximately 24. Larger groups can also be accommodated.
If you like the sound of a 2- or 3-day river adventure but prefer the comfort of a roof over your head, a bed, a hot shower and a flush toilet , we offer a no-camping alternative in our overnight rafting adventures with lodging. Or maybe you like camping but your spouse doesn’t? No problem! Ask us about availability. After sharing a delicious dinner and camp camaraderie around the fire, you can retire to your tent, while we take your spouse to the nearby riverside lodge a kinder, softer adventure.
PRIVATE BOAT OPTION:
If you prefer to choose your own company, we offer a "private boat" option. On our day trips, you will have your own guide and boat (for up to 8 people) for the day, however lunch will be with the rest of the group. On our three-day trips you will have your own boat and guide (for up to 8 people) each day on the water, and you will join the rest of the group for lunch as well as in the evening at camp (unless you choose the lodging option). The remote canyon provides plenty of opportunity for as much or as little alone time as you wish. If you are interested in a completely outfitted private trip for your party, please contact us and we would be happy to provide you with a quote.
Comfort at the Greyhouse Inn & Vacation Cabins
And always... accomodations are available at the Greyhouse Inn before and after your trip.